da Vinci® Robotic Surgery
The da Vinci® Surgical System provides surgeons with an alternative to both traditional open surgery and conventional laparoscopy, by putting a surgeon’s hands at the controls of an advanced robotic platform. It allows surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures that use smaller incisions that can potentially help reduce complications. This means you can get back to your life and loved ones sooner.
Robotic Surgery's Benefits for Patients
Robotic-assisted surgery may offer several benefits for patients:
- faster recovery and return to normal daily living activities
- less blood loss and fewer transfusions
- less pain and scarring postsurgery
- lower risk of infection
- less time in the hospital than those who have traditional surgeries:
- With robotic hysterectomies (removal of the uterus), the patient’s average hospital stay after surgery is reduced by nearly 60 percent.
- Robotic prostatectomies (removal of the prostate gland) can possibly reduce hospital stays by about one third, cut blood loss in half and reduce narcotics use by nearly 20 percent.
- 63 percent of robotic prostatectomy patients need only half the dose of narcotic pain medication.
Robotic Procedures Provided at College Station Medical Center
In The News